Background Checks- Major Challenges
Background check is a phenomenal tool which has assisted employers worldwide in selecting and retaining the class talent. It has been able to scrutinize the profiles and criminals. However its adoption and the way it is perceived by potential employees is negative. Broadly the challenges background checks face are at the level of employees and employers. Let us try and understand the major challenge faced by the two broad categories of professionals.
Challenges faced by Employers:
- Background checks are generally expensive and typical cost varies from $200-$400 per candidate. This could be high for SME’s. This is the main reason why many employers fail or shy away to conduct third party background checks.
- Many companies can face litigation if they fail to perform a pre-employment background check on potential employees.
- If employers fail to deal with the information in a secretive manner, lawsuits can be filed against them and they could be fined heavily.
Challenges faced by Employees:
- They consider background reports as invasion to privacy
- They might disclose personal details which an individual might not want to share with potential employer. If it goes to the wrong hands, it’s cursing for the candidates.
- They are liable to penalties if they provide falsified information
- Errors made by the investigating agencies performing background report checks might harm the employee.
- Referees might also become quite, detailed or discriminating during the background check
- Terrorism is increasing worldwide and it might soon be difficult to get a job unless a candidate proves his innocent candidature in the stringent policing tests
Background checks have been able to provide right direction for employees and employers. Both have their own set of challenges and apprehensions. If something mid-way can be released it will help in easing of the tensions and challenges associated with background checks for both employees and employers.