Even in countries where there is no single public health care system, there are a number of government jobs in health care. Then there are countries like UK, where there is a central public health care system such as NHS, which employs more than a million experts in health care. For the US, though there is no agency comparable to NHS, there are a number of governmental agencies that require health care workers, including doctors. Here I will cover all these agencies, as well as briefly touch upon NHS.
For other countries, there are corresponding government agencies that employ health care professional. For example, the Army Medical Corps will exist in almost every Army, though its name will likely be different.
UK jobs in NHS
Employing more than 1.7 employees, the National Health Service(NHS) of UK is one of the largest direct employers in the world. It has a requirement to fill all kinds of jobs, from General Practitioner, Hospital doctor including surgeons, Nurses, therapists, management, including non-healthcare jobs such as construction and catering. The website jobs.nhs.uk is the primary portal to find about any requirement by NHS for jobs in healthcare.
US Government Jobs in Health Care
- Veterans Health Administration This agency is part of the Department of Veterans Affairs, and is responsible for the health of the veterans of the US Military. VHS employs a total of 200K employees, which makes it one of the largest US governmental agencies. It employs doctors, nurses, allied healthcare professionals including therapists, podiatrists etc. Though the pay with VHS, like other governmental medical jobs, is less than what one might get in private practice, there are many benefits including sovereign immunity from malpractice lawsuits.
- US Army Medical Department Where VHS is responsible for the health of the veterans, the US Army Medical Department is responsible for the health of the serving soldiers in the US Army. You can join the Army Medical Corps as a serving officer of the US Army, the Nurse corps or as a serving enlisted man in allied service.
- US Air Force Medical Service The Air Force medical service consists of Nurse Corps, Medical Corps, Dental Corps, Enlisted Medics, Medical Service Corps and Biomedical Science Corps.
- Medical Corps and US Navy Hospital Corpsman The Medical Corps consists of commissioned officers in different specialties, whereas the US Navy Hospital Corpsman is a corps of enlisted medics in the US Navy. So whether you are a specialist or not, you can join the navy. Note that the physical training given to members of Hospital Corpsman is as rigorous as the training for Marines corps. So if you are inclined for a military life coupled with a passion to be a medical professional, this can be the best option for you.
- Department of Health and Human Services This is the primary civilian medical aid body of the US government. As a doctor or nurse employed with this department, you will respond to medical health emergencies in any part of the United States. There are other jobs where you will make policy, and help the people of US face medical challenges. This is more popularly also known as HHA.
You can search for government health care jobs in the primary US government portal for, which is jobsearch.usajobs.gov.
Source by Josh Dorris