The best computer technology consulting is defined by qualities that are not always found on a resume. Experience and knowledge are essential, but consulting is a very delicate profession. Even an experienced expert may not be able to give you and your company the help you need if he or she lacks the following qualities.
1. INDEPENDENCE. The best computer technology consulting works for you and serves your technological needs. But once the responsibilities of the job have been learned, a good computer technology consultant should be able to work effectively without being micromanaged. Progress should be made and goals met without the need for continuous oversight.
2. CURIOSITY. The rate of change in technology is phenomenal and ever-increasing. No consultant could possibly know everything about computers, but they should have the innate fascination that will drive them to learn about new developments and incorporate them into their own work, and not be content to simply rehash the same old practices from the past.
3. PASSION. Some enter the field of computer technology consulting for the money, but those who excel are those who truly love their work. The computer technology consulting industry is too dynamic and complicated for people who are not passionate about technology . No one motivated solely by a paycheck can really help your business as much as a passionate employee.
4. WILLINGNESS AND CAPACITY TO LEARN. These two don’t necessarily go hand-in-hand, but they are equally essential qualities for a capable computer technology consultant to possess. Men and women in this field should not only be open to new developments and ideas, but able to incorporate them into their own work in a meaningful way.
5. RESEARCH ACUMEN. Every job is unique, so a good computer technology consultant must be prepared and have the knowledge to attack any problem. The best consultants aren’t those who know all the answers to all the questions, but those who know how to find the best answers to those questions by doing quality research.
6. PATIENCE AND PERSISTENCE. Some consultants enter a job with a timeline already having been decided. However, the best will be patient and open to working within your deadlines. Training frustrations and other setbacks may occur, so calmness and persistence in these situations is a must.
7. ORDERLINESS. It’s easy to get overwhelmed by all the information a consultant is confronted by when first examining your programs, records, and equipment. Look for those consultants with the organization skills to recognize and extract that information which is the most important to their task.
8. INTEGRITY. Even the most experienced and intelligent consultants will be wrong from time to time. The best consultants are those with the strength of character to admit it. Computer technology consultants must be honest, with you and with themselves, and reliable. Humility is a key asset, because a consultant is not hired to be the best himself, but to make your company the best.