Before knowing the advantages and describing the applications, it’s important to know what makes fiber optics
Some of these benefits are:
1. Optical fibers offer low transmission loss and wider bandwidths for transferring data in the form of light.
2. Their low weight and small dimensions are advantages over bulky copper and other cable systems.
3. They are immune to environmental electro-magnetic interferences because of their dielectric nature.
4. Since they are constructed from glass or plastic they offer complete electric isolation. This makes them secure for underwater applications.
5. Last but not least, there is an abundance of raw materials available for construction of fibers. This keeps their cost low in comparison to other cables.
Now we are aware of the things which make fiber optics the best available option. The second important thing to know is what advantages this
Non-conductive nature of fiber:
The cables are non- conductive in nature as they are made up of silica with several insulating protective layers over it. Thus they are resistive to lightning, rusting and degradation. This makes them suitable for underwater applications like pools and spa illumination.
Eliminate spark and shocks:
Electric signals are extremely dangerous in many applications. They cause sparks, create an electric current and can be dangerously accidental. Fiber optics is free from these problems as it doesn’t carry current.
Easy to install:
Conventional cables are thick, heavy and bulky which makes them very difficult to install. On the other hand optic cables are thinner, light and flexible which makes them easy to install in any location and they can be conveniently framed into any object.
Immune to electromagnetic interference:
This is the most beneficial quality of optical fiber in the telecommunication industry. This interference is a type of noise which reduces the quality of signal. Since optical fiber doesn’t carry current it is immune to this problem.
Safety and security:
The enhanced cabling
High bandwidth covering long distances:
In short we can say that fiber optic cables are flexible, reliable, secure, safe, less prone to environmental hazards and above all easy to install and manage.
High installation cost:
You can get fiber cables at a low cost, but the installation is quite costly. They require special tools and techniques which result in an increment of its overall expense.
They are also sensitive and should be handled with care. They are much more fragile than other cables, so any pulling and bending must be done carefully.
Fiber optics becomes opaque due to continuous use which reduces its efficiency and life.
Require special skills to install:
Area of uses:
The advantages and disadvantages of any system serve as the basis for implementing it for any application. Since fiber optics has lots of advantages to offer it also has a wider area of uses. The following are some examples of these possible uses:
Telecommunication: This is the global sector which is upgrading with optical fiber. Higher internet data transmission rate, digitization of cable television, long distance communication, and computer networking are some of the common examples utilizing this
Decoration and art lighting: This is the most attractive and user-friendly application area of fiber optics
· Swimming pool lighting: Fiber optics lighting is pleasing, glowing and the only safe lighting for pools. It is safer because there is no danger of electric shock from illumination. It is adaptable to wet environments and never rusts. The latest color wheels and illuminator helps create different patterns and any desirable modern art in your pool.
· Display and design: The end glow or side glow effect of fiber optics is effectively utilized in discos and casino for decorative lightning, as well as in malls and museums for display names, patterns and illuminating glass objects.
The area and application of fiber optics are beyond our coverage area but they are practical to use and incorporate in any location. They are repairable and power efficient, developing a more green and eco-friendly environment. This