If you are between about 50 years old and 64 years old, you may find that it is much tougher to find affordable
Healthinsurance rates are usually set by age bands. At about age 50, these bands start really increasing over the rates a younger adult may find.
- At about age 50, we all start to have more issues with some of the problems of middle age.
Healthissues like adult onset diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. become more common. Some healthconditions may cause insurers to charge us more, and some may even cause individual insurers to decline us. so
- At age 65, most Americans qualify for Medicare. This is the government
healthinsurance program for seniors and disabled people. While it does not cover everything, it can help. On the other hand, most Americans under 65 do not qualify for Medicare.
So given that is is harder for people over 50, and younger than 65, to find affordable medical insurance, how can we resolve this problem?
One solution that may solve this problem, plus have extra benefits, is to consider a higher deductible major medical insurance policy with an HSA (
- A higher deductible
healthinsurance policy will cost less than the same policy with a lower deductible..
- Some insurers relax underwriting rules for higher deductible policies too.
- Even though you may have more out of pocket
healthcosts to pay, the lower premium may offset this somewhat.
- With network medical plans, like PPO
healthplans, you will still get network discounts when you do need to pay for medical services. Healthplan network prices are usually a lot cheaper than non-discounted prices.
- The HSA is a savings account that can contribute too. Within limits, these contributions will be tax deductible. This can help you save money on your income taxes too.
- Any money in the HSA that is unused will keep rolling over from year to year. At retirement, it can be withdrawn as retirement savings.
- Some HSA savings accounts earn competitive interest rates too. Not only are you saving money, your account can actually grow.
- The money in the account can be used to pay for a variety of medical services, and this includes paying for the major medical deductible It also includes other medical services that are not covered by the major medical plan, like dental care or supplements.
Source by Marilyn Katz