Technorati is a site that you should become very familiar with as you start using social media in your business. Any social media marketing adviser worth his or her salt would tell you this.
Technorati is a search engine of blogs and indexes and ranks blogs. You can go here to see the Top 100 blogs as ranked by Technorati: technorati.com/pop/blogs/
If you have a blog you should check this list periodically to see which blogs are popular. Here’s the top 10 blogs as of this writing:
1. Breaking News and Opinion on the Huffington Post. Founded by Arianna Huffington in 2005, this is a liberal online news site, which features links to various news stories and columnists.
2. TechCrunch . According to its website, TechCrunc is “a weblog dedicated to obsessively profiling and reviewing new Internet products and companies. In addition to covering new companies, we profile existing companies that are making an impact (commercial and/or cultural) on the new web space.”
3. Engadget. “Engadget is a web magazine with obsessive daily coverage of everything new in gadgets and consumer electronics.”
4. Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide. “Gizmodo is a blog with the sole purpose of writing about tech and gadgets as fast as possible.”
5. Boing Boing. A blog of “wonderful things” and cultural curiosities and interesting technologies.
6. Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done.
7. Ars Technica. The art of technology. News, analysis and in depth coverage of technology.
8. Mashable. The social networking blog.
9. icanhascheezburger.com. Funny photos of cats with captions, uploaded by readers.
10. Daily Kos. The premier political community in the US. Several politicians post diaries on the site.
As you can see, gadgets, politics, news, technology – and cats – are the hot topics. Even though none of this may be pertinent to your niche, it’s still good to know what the popular blogs are about. Also be sure to search Technorati to find the popular blogs in your niche. Search by keywords.
Technorati has a cool feature called Technorati Watchlists. This allows you to search for whatever it is you want to search for. It is also one way people immediately know if someone links to them. The Watchlists have a RSS feed so you can get your searches via RSS feed.
One of the ways Technorati calculates rankings is by counting how many people have voted for a blog as a favorite. Make it easy for your readers by having a Technorati Favorites widget on your blog so that they can vote for your blog.
Most of the blogs in the above top ten list are only a few years old. It doesn’t take long to develop a high-profile blog. Use Technorati to your advantage and start building your blog today.
If you have a blog, you should register at Technorati and submit your blog URL there.