People rarely talk about hydration when it comes to muscle and performance development despite of the fact that water is very important for strengthening your muscle and body as a runner. Water functions include growing and repairing your muscles after a running workout session. Therefore, if you fail to rehydrate sufficiently, then your muscle development will suffer and will leave you more injury prone during your runs. This article will discuss about hydration and why it is important for developing your muscle and strength. We are also going to give you some tips for staying hydrated during your workout days.
How Water Develops Your Muscles
Water can enhance your muscles in many different ways and here are some of them:
- Promoting maximum muscle mass: the muscles on your body consist of over 70 percent water. Because of this, proper hydration will promote your optimal muscle size. Dehydration can negatively impact your body composition and shrink your muscles.
- Developing your muscle strength: a smooth and efficient muscle constractions require water. By drinking enough water, you will be able to lift weights with your maximum strength and run at your maximum pace during your workouts. Being dehydrated will limit your muscle strength and limits your performance during workouts.
- Recovering tired muscle: studies show that sufficient water intake has a positive effect on protein synthesis and accelerates the rate of your muscle recovery. On the other hand, dehydration reduces the ability of your body to use protein and slows down muscle recovery.
How To Stay Hydrated During Workout Days
Okay, by now you have gained enough knowledge on how water can benefit your performance in building your muscle and running endurance. So, all you have to do is to make sure that you are drinking enough water. Follow these steps so you can drink the amount of at least eight glass of water per day to stay hydrated:
- Vary your water intake: people often find water as bland and boring. This makes it difficult for them to drink enough water. However, the good news is that water can come in many different forms and you need not to drink pure water only to keep your body hydrated. For example, you can drink coffee or tea to hydrate. You can also eat water rich fruits and vegetables as alternatives for your daily water supply.
- Use reminder apps: today’s technology can help you to drink enough water each day. There are plenty of apps out there that can remind you the time to rehydrate. You can also use an old school alarm clock to remind you to refill yourself with water every few hours.
- Always start and end your day with a glass of water: developing this habit will help you maintaining your hydration levels and prevent you from being dehydrated when you go to bed at night.
If you have not been paying attention to hydration, then now is the time to change your mindset. By drinking enough water per day, your muscle will develop more efficiently and this will help you getting the physical strength and endurance you desire as a runner.